While preventing unnecessary food waste in the first place is always preferable (read our love letter to vegetable peels), the compost pile is the final barrier to prevent food from going into the landfill (where it doesn’t break down but instead creates copious greenhouse gases ). Composting turns that waste into a nutrient-rich amendment (or even replacement) for soil that can support the growth of new food crops and reduces or eliminates the need for chemical fertilizers. The best part is that composting is a lot easier than you might think. Whether you have a backyard garden or you’re an apartment dweller that wants to reduce your waste, our handy list of links will get you composting in no time.
DIG IN TO COMPOSTING
- Basic How-To
- Composting Challenges? Read this.
- What’s the impact of composting…
If you have a yard/garden…
If you don’t have a yard/garden here’s how to compost…
- In your apartment
- Starter guide complete with a handy infographic
- More advice on indoor composting
- At work
- Composting for large events
- A guide for large-scale events and venues