Makes 8 servings
Take a stab at invasivorism with this citrus-marinated lionfish ceviche. Lionfish are a carnivorous invasive fish threating fish populations and coral reef in the Atlantic ocean and are showing up in your local fish markets. These tasty troublemakers are a flaky white fish with tender, butter-y filets.
- 1-1/4 pounds lionfish filet, cut into ½ inch cubes
- 2/3 cup lime juice
- 1 medium onion, minced
- 2 teaspoon jalapeno, minced
- 1/2 cucumber, diced
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1/3 cup cilantro or parsley, chopped
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Tostada chips and/or fresh vegetable chips for serving
In a nonreactive bowl (stainless steel or plastic) combine lime juice, onion, and jalapeno. Add fish and marinate a minimum of 30 minutes but not longer than 2 hours. Fish should appear semi-opaque. Drain marinade and top with cucumber, tomatoes, herbs, olive oil, and salt. Serve cold with chips.