This delicious vegetarian stew is easy to prepare, chock-full of vegetables, and, with a quinoa base, protein-rich.
For the stew
- 1 small onion, peeled and cut into large pieces
- 1 cloves garlic smashed or chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh ginger grated or chopped small
- 3 cups assorted fresh or frozen vegetables
cauliflower cut into florets
carrots, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
butternut squash ( or other seasonal vegetables )
belll pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 medium sized tomato chopped or ½ cup chopped canned tomato
- 2 cups chard or other leafy green like spinach or kale, ribs removed and cut torn into large pieces
- 1 cup cooked or 1 can garbanzo beans
- 1 Tbsp curry powder
- 1 tsp chili flakes or chili powder (if using cayenne reduce to ¼ teaspoon)
- 8 fl oz or 1 cup coconut water
- 8 fl oz or 1 cup water
- 2 Tbsp olive oil (or other vegetable oil)
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 cups cooked quinoa (see below)
- Heat oil in large pot.
- Add onions, garlic and ginger. Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes stirring often.
- Add the curry powder and chili flakes or chili powder. Cook over medium heat for 3 minutes stirring often.
- Add the chopped tomato and continue to cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the cut up vegetables like carrot, cauliflower, squash and peppers to the pan and stir to coat well with curry spices.
- Add the coconut water and water and salt. Bring to simmer.
- Cover pot and let cook for 20 minutes over low heat.
- Remove lid and add the cooked garbanzo beans and chard ( or other greed). Cover and cook for another 10 minutes.
- When done remove from heat, uncover and serve.
For the quinoa
- 1 cups quinoa (yellow, red or both ), rinsed
- ¼ tsp salt
- 2 ½ cups water
- Place water and salt in pot and bring to boil.
- Add quinoa and stir.