This richly-flavored and nutritious pork dish is easy to prepare and uses just one oven-safe pan.
- 3 lbs pork shoulder roast
- 1 Tbsp salt (kosher salt is best)
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 tsp ground fennel seed (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs of fresh thyme (optional)
- 3 carrots, medium, peeled and cut into 1 inch pieces
- 2 small onions, peeled and cut into 8 pieces each
- 2 cloves garlic, minced, grated or put thru garlic press
- ½ cup water
- 1 Tbsp Dijon mustard
- Season pork with salt, pepper and fennel.
- Place prepped vegetables in a heavy bottomed pan 3 inches or so larger than the pork.
- Place the seasoned pork on top of the vegetables.
- Add the bay leaf and thyme (if used) to the pan.
- Add the water to the pan with the pork and vegetables.
- Cover the pan loosely with a large piece of aluminum foil.
- Place pan in 350F oven and cook for approx. 2 – 3 hours.
- Remove pan from oven, remove foil and transfer the pork and vegetables to plate, cover and keep warm.
- Add the mustard to the cooking liquids in the pan.
- Over medium high heat reduce the liquid with the mustard until sauce thickens. About 3 minutes.
- Arrange vegetables and sliced roast on platter (or individual plates) and spoon reduced sauce over meat.