Turkey is low in fat and high in protein, so these recipes are delicious and nutritious! The salad recipe below is the perfect antidote to post-Thanksgiving bloat.Serves 4
- 1 cup turkey, dark meat shredded
- 1 1/4 cup black-eyed peas, cooked
- 10 cups arugula or mixed greens
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/3 cup pickles, sliced
- 4 tbsp pickle juice
- 4 each scallions, thinly sliced
- 1 tbsp whole grain mustard
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- Kosher salt
- Cayenne pepper
- Combine the garlic, thyme and 1 tablespoon olive oil in a nonstick skillet over medium heat and cook until fragrant, about 2 minutes. Add the black-eyed peas and 2 tablespoons pickle juice and cook until tender, about 10 minutes. Add the turkey and heat through, about 3 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and add the scallions, and salt and cayenne to taste. Discard the thyme.
- Meanwhile, whisk the mustard and the remaining 2 tablespoons pickle juice in a large bowl. Add salt and cayenne to taste, then gradually whisk in the remaining 3 tablespoons olive oil.
- Add the tomatoes and toss. Add the arugula, celery and pickles and toss again. Top with the black-eyed peas and turkey.