Warm up with a spicy tomato sauce that incorporates delicious and heart-healthy fatty fish as well as flavorful capers.
Makes 2 servings
- 4 ounces whole grain spaghetti
- 1 tablespoon, plus one teaspoon, extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1 oil-packed anchovy, chopped (optional)
- 1 14-ounce can diced tomatoes, drained (reserve water)
- 1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 can (5 to 6-ounces) skip jack tuna, drained and flaked*
- 2 teaspoons capers
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh parsley
- Grated parmesan cheese and black pepper (optional)
Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Cook spaghetti to “al dente” (cooked, but still firm), for 9-11 minutes or according to package instructions. Drain and toss with 1 teaspoon olive oil.
Heat remaining tablespoon of oil in a large skillet over medium. Add garlic and anchovies and cook until garlic is golden, stirring and breaking up anchovy with a wooden spoon, about 2 minutes.
Add tomatoes and crushed red pepper flakes and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 15 minutes. Add reserved water from the tomato can as needed to prevent tomatoes from sticking to the skillet.
Once tomato consistency is sauce-like and thick, stir in tuna and capers and cook for another 2 minutes. Divide sauce evenly over cooked pasta and top with parsley and parmesan and black pepper. Serve hot.
*To use oil-packed tuna, drain the tuna and use oil from can in place of olive oil.